Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Evacuation ng mga Mamamayan mula sa Sitio Mauricia at Sitio Tilik

Clearing of Tree Debis along the Roads Starting from Kantong Pagasa to Dap-Dap

Pre-positioning of Equipments and Personnel together with Barangay Anupul

Tree Debris Clearing along Rizal Avenue and Mc Arthur Hi-way

Mass Disinfection at PNP Office

IATF Protocols for OFW

Past Mayor

Past Mayor



Martin Sibal


Feliciano Cauguiran – Capitan


Marciano Cadiang


Lorenzo Lugtu


Rafael Maristela


Feliciano Cauguiran


Jose Sibal (Capitan Sisip)


Rafael Maristela


Antonio Macale


Martin Sibal


Simeon Dayrit


Paulino Vergara


Cezario Sibal


Andres Macale


Juan Dayrit


Flaviano Sibal


Andres Macale


Felix Dela Cruz


Flaviano Sibal


Jose Sibal (Capitan Sisip)


Paulino Vergara


Andres Macale


Juan Dayrit


Pablo Rivera


1900 – 1901

Pablo Lagman- President


Laurencio Campo – Vice President

1902 – 1903

Pedro Sibal

1903 – 1906

Leon Sibal


Basilio Delos Santos

L907 – l908

Ricardo Costosa


Felix Austria

1909 – 1912

Saturnino Lumboy


Canuto Sibal

1916 – 1919

Alberto Punsalang


Sebastian Tobias

1922 – 1925

Guillermo Delos Santos


Basilio Maristela

1926 – 1928

Cenon Dela Cruz


Bernardo De Leon

1928 – 1931

Alberto Punsalang


Abelardo Sibal

1931 – 1934

Cenon Dela Cruz


Gabriel Cayanan

1934 – 1937

Abelardo Sibal


Fernando Diaz

1937 – 1940

Marcelo Sibal


Arsenio Sibal

1940 – 1941

Alberto Punsalang


Emiterio Sibal


1942 – 1943

Fernando Diaz


Emiterio Sibal

1945 – April 8

Sinforoso S. Lumboy

1948 – January 8

Sinforoso S. Lumboy

1951 – 1953

Mayor – Enrique S. Sison


Mayor – Enrique S. Sison

1959- 1963

Mayor – Enrique S. Sison

1963 – 1967

Mayor – Pedro D. Mendiola

1967 – 1971

Mayor – Pedro D. Mendiola

1971 – Sept. 1972

Mayor – Pedro D. Mendiola

1972 – 1980

Mayor – Godofredo Tolosa

1980 – 1981

Mayor – Ceferino Dela Cruz

1981 – 1986

Mayor – Ricardo Ignacio

1986 – 1988

Mayor – Leonardo E. Soriano

1988 – 1992

Mayor – Leonardo E. Soriano

1998 – 2000

Mayor – Florante C. Cojuangco

2001 -2004

Mayor – Leonardo C. Anunciacion

2004 – 2007

Mayor – Florante C. Cojunagco

2007 – 2013

Mayor – Leonardo C. Anunciacion

2013 – 2022

Mayor – Jose Antonio T. Feliciano

Inventory of Cultural Property

Inventory of Cultural Property


ONISHI PEACE SHRINEOnishi Peace Shrine is a legacy of the Japanese regime left behind after World War II. The Shrine serves as a memorial to the Japanese and American Soldiers who have fallen during the WWII. The tunnel, on the other hand, was once the headquarters of Vice Admiral Takijiro Onishi, thr originator of the Kamikaze (divine wind) or the suicide air attacks.Sitio Sampaloc, Brgy. San Nicolas
BUROG CAVEBUROG is a Pampango word meaning “holes”. Stories were told how the invading Japanese forces used these tunnels and caves in the Burog Mountain Ranges to protect themselves from surrounding enemy fire; hence, the work “PEMURUG” or “Fire upon and create an array of holesSitio Burog, Brgy. Sto. Nino
LUCOT CAVEDifferent sets of stories have been circulating about the existence of these strange-looking holes, just below the edge of a hill in Sitio Mataba. Aeta tribesmen believe they were man-made during the WWII era for the Japanese to take refuge in. Some older settlers claim them to be naturally done with the help of diverted river water to its entrances. Man-made or not, the Lucot Caves provide for a jaw-dropping backdrop along the Lucot River, where one can jump into a pool of cold, refreshing water.Sitio Mataba, Brgy. Sto. Nino
PARUA RIVER DEFENSE LINENovember 11, 1899, forces led by Gen. F. Makabulos & Gen. S. Aquino fought against American ForcesBrgy. Lourdes
PRES. E. AGUINALDO’s REVOLUTIONARY GOV’TBamban as temporary headquarters of Gen. Aguinaldo (June 6, 1899)In front of Municipal Library
LIBERATION OF BAMBAN (MARKER)Japanese Occupation PeriodPoblacion
JAPANESE BUNKERS RESTORATION (Marker)Served as underground shelter (1941-1945)Virgen delos Remedios
(Mr. Arellano’s Farm)
21st DIVISION PHILIPPINE ARMY (PA) MARKER Brgy. Lourdes (near steel bridge)
WW II PEACE MEMORIAL SHRINE Brgy. Lourdes in front of Elementary School
NORTH LUZON FORCE (Delay Pt.#5) Marker Brgy. Lourdes in front of Elementary School
ADMIRAL OHNISHI TUNNEL (Marker)Served as residence of Adm. Ohnishi, founder of Kamikaze (1944-45)Rolling Hills, San Nicolas
BATTLE OF BAMBAN HILLS MARKERServed as First Line of Defense (JAP)Grotto Hills, Brgy. Lourdes
TAKAYAMA DETACHMENT MONUMENT & MARKER(1944-1945) Hoshino Defense Battalion Okamote Defense BattalionSitio Panaisan, Brgy. San Nicolas
THRALL HILL (Marker)In memory of Norman Thrall US Army who died hereSitio Panaisan, Bry. San Nicolas
STOUT HILL 500 TUNNEL (Marker)Used by Japanese defenders as headquarters under Gen. Iwanaka and TominagaBrgy. Lourdes
STOUT HILL MARKERIn memory of Major Stout, US ArmyBrgy. Lourdes
LAPE-LIGAYA HILL (Marker) Sitio Bilo, Lourdes
CENTRAL AZUCARERA de BAMBAN (Markers at Mansion House, Club House and main ruins)Served as residence of Spanish and Japanese OfficialsBrgy. Lourdes
JAPANESE KEBU GROUP MEMORIAL SHRINELast stand position at Sacobia AreaSacobia




Municipal Profile

Municipal Profile

Origin of Bamban

The municipality of Bamban, established during the Spanish regime, was originally founded out of a vast jungle inhabited by mixed settlers comprising of the aborigines or Negritos, the ~Lambal Aetas, and the Christian native immigrants from Pampanga and the Tagalog provinces. As early as 1700, the Agustinian Missionaries from Mabalacat, Pampanga came to spread the Roman Catholic faith and later on to civilize the natives. On August 16, 1876, the ecclesiastical authorities officially established the “Mjssion de Pueblos.” The Augustinian recollects or Orden Recoletos de San Agustin was in charged of the Mission. The Missionaries were supported by the Spanish Government in 1800, the Mission or Settlement was accorded an official recognition by the Spanish Govemment and was given the name of the town “Bamban” which was derived from an aquatic plant found abundant in the fertile valleys. Bamban was formerly a part of the jurisdiction of Pampanga with Villa de Bacolor as its capital. With the creation of the Province of Tarlac in 1894, Bamban was separated from its mother province of Pampanga and was made a part of Tarlac province.

Bamban played a historical role during the Filipino- Spanish and later on Filipino-American revolutions when on June 6, 1899 was proclaimed the revolutionary capital of the Philippines by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. In recognition of this historical event, the local legislative body, the Sangguniang Bayan passed Special Ordinance No. 1, series of 1999 declaring June 6 as Bamban Day.

Geographical Location and Boundaries

Bamban is a second class municipality and is one among the 17 municipalities comprising the province of Tarlac. The provincial government has classified it as a medium town. It is the southernmost town of the province. It is about 100 kilometers north of Manila and 32 kilometers away from the capital of Tarlac. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of Capas, Concepcion on the east, Mabalacat town on the south and Botolan, Zambales on the west. Bamban’s boundary with Mabalacat, Pampanga is the Sacobia River, a major channel for lahar or pyroclastic flowing from the slopes of Mt. Pinatubo.

Topography and Land Area

The municipality of Bamban covers an area of approximately 39,090 hectares or 39.09 square kilometers, spread unevenly among its 15 barangays.

The four largest barangays in terms of land area are Anupul, San Nicolas, Sto. Nino and San Vicente which combine for a total area of about 22,572. The remaining area comprises the 11 barangays, the smallest of which is Barangay La Paz with barely 1% of the total land area.

With the release recently of CADT titles which comprised the Sacobia Development Authority (SDA) the entire Sacobia valley which includes the land areas of barangays San Vicente, Sto. Nino and Calumpang is now part of the political and territorial jurisdiction of the municipality of Bamban, notwithstanding the boundary dispute between the municipality of Bamban and Mabalacat. Also within the territorial jurisdiction of Bamban are Zone F and Zone C which are reverted areas returned to the Philippines after the expiration of the RP-US Military Bases Agreement of 1947.

History of Bamban

History of Bamban

 Bamban is located at the southernmost part of Tarlac Province. On the north, it is bounded by the municipality of Capas, Tarlac, and on the south, by the municipality of Mabalacat, Pampanga. The Parua River, popularly known as Bamban River, separates Bamban from Mabalacat. Toward the east lies the municipality of Concepcion, Tarlac. On the western side, the terrain is rugged due to rolling hills and mountains bordering the municipality of Botolan, Zambales. The wide tract of flat lands on the eastern side is suited to agriculture.  This is where many of Bamban’s are engaged in farming.

            Historical records states that the early inhabitants of the settlement, which was to become Pueblo de Bamban, were the Aetas or Negritos and Zambals.

          Later, other settlers came from Pampanga and other neighboring provinces. Those settlers found the place with plants of mabamboa or bambania growing abundantly along the riverbanks.  The place was called cabambanan or mabamban but later on it was simply called bamban.

      At present, the Kapampangans composed approximately 90% of Bamban’s population. The remaining 10% composed of Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Pangasinenses and Zambals. Roman Catholicism is the dominant religion which is about 85% while the rest are Iglesia ni Cristo, Methodists, Baptists and other evangelical groups. The presence of those religious sects attests that its people are religious. Farming is the main occupation of the residents who live at the eastern part of the town. Among the professionals, the teachers are the greatest in number, drivers of passenger jeepneys and tricycles ranked second. The rest offers personal services such as the carpenters, barbers, beautician, masons and other construction workers.

        Bamban is endowed by the Divine Providence with rolling hills and gorgeous mountains of San Vicente, Sto. Nino and San Nicolas. The Sacobia Lake in barangay Sto Nino was a result of the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991. Another interesting spot to see is the waterfalls at Sitio Malasa. Some Japanese tunnels still exist on the mountains of barangay San Nicolas. There are also man-made wonders in Bamban that include the Wonderland Resort at barangay Anupul, the grottos of our Lady of Lourdes in barangaysLourdesand sitio Magurul Gurul, and the concrete suspension bridge at the southernmost part of Bamban.


Life in Bamban before the outbreak of the war was simple. Majority of the people lived in small houses made of bamboos, nipa or cogon, sawali and other local materials available in the community. There were few big houses owned by wealthy hacinderos and professionals, yet, their number is few. Today, most of these ancestral houses no longer exist, including the house of Don Jesus Feliciano – a wealthy landlord, located few meters from the railroad station at barangay San Nicolas. The old house of Atty. Benjamin Gacioco located across the old sugar central was also dismantled right after the Liberation Period. Another one that no longer exists is the house of Dr. Potricio S. Santos, grandfather of Vilma, a multi –awarded actress turned politician.

During those periods, calesas, calising and carts were the usual type of transportation. Very few had family cars like the Felicianos, Santos and Gosiocos. Other rich families owned calising, which were drawn by horses. Now, Bamban is found with tricycles and passenger jeepneys, instead, of the calesas and calising.

Long before the war, the rural folks in this community practiced bayanihan. Farmers helped one another in preparing their rice fields during planting and harvesting seasons. To make their work easier and faster, the community folks practiced the sugo. But because of the invention of modern machineries such as the threshing machines, tractors, and bulldozers, the practice among the farmers is rarely observed nowadays.

The farmers in Bamban traditionally practiced the lasac dalungdong after a bountiful harvest. This is a way of showing their gratitude to God for the blessing they received at harvest time. Barrio folks come to partake sumptuous food made available for everyone. Today, the lasac dalungdung festivity held in rice fields or farms is gone; instead, parties are held in resorts or restaurants.

Another traditional practice in Bamban is the Santa Cruzan held in May. The tradition is the procession of beautiful maidens and gentlemen during the evening that parade along the streets of the town beginning May 15 until the end of the month. Naturally, the burden of inviting beautiful ladies from the neighboring barrios or towns plus, the preparation of supper would entail much expense on the part of the host; thus, is perhaps the reason why the Santa Cruzan has become scarce this day.

Again before the war, lively music during parties, anniversaries and other special occasions had to be provided by rondalla players. But now, videokes and other electronic musical devices are being used instead. This is one reason why there are few surviving rondalla players these days in Bamban.


With the coming of the Japanese Imperial Army in Bamban, many of its civilian residents suffered untold hardships and brutalities. The Japanese army occupied the sugar central as their garrison or detention camp. Innocent civilians were brutally tortured on mere suspicion of being members of the guerilla movement.

To propagate Japanese language and culture, schools were opened. The teaching of Nippongo as a subject was compulsory and the children were forced to study it. During this regime, the Kapisanan ng Paglilingkod sa Bagong Pilipinas (Society for Service to the New Philippines), popularly known as KALIBAPI, was utilized by the Japanese invaders to gain the cooperation and goodwill of the civilians. But despite this Japanese propaganda, many cabalens joined the guerrilla USAFFE or Hukbalahap (Hukbong Bayan Laban Sa Hapon). Several resistance units were organized me and one of them was USAFFE guerilla under Capt. Bruce, an American soldier. Squadron #45 of the Hukbalahap movement was under Apung Nasiong Gamboa alias Commander Luna.


Perhaps, Bamban was the only town in Central Luzon, which suffered most when the American forces came to liberate the Philippines. The whole poblacion of the municipality was devastated when US fighter planes bombed the houses, the school buildings and the public market. There were no civilian casualties because the residents had evacuated to the far-flung barrios.

Not long after, the people returned to the poblacion to rehabilitate the community. They had to rebuild their dwelling places out of salvage materials. Peaceful living must continue after the war.


Soon after the war, some remarkable changes took place in the town. Political set up was reorganized and schools were reopened. Big houses made of strong materials were erected in the pablacions and few “barong-barong” constructed out of salvaged materials remained for a few more years.

Five (5) additional barrios were added to the ten (10) existing barrios of the town. The newly created barrios were Lourdes, San Pedro, Sto Nino, San Rafael and San Vicente. The highest official of the barrio was no longer addressed tiniente but capitan.

During pre-war days and up to early Liberation Period, there were no high schools in Bamban. In 1949, Atty. Igmedio Bolus created the Bamban Institute, which however, did not operate long. In 1957, another private high school, the Holy Infant Jesus Academy, established by a certain Mr. Gaviola came into operation. Later on, the administration was transferred to the Dominican Sisters. The institution was subsequently renamed Sto.Nino Academy up to the present time.

In 1966, a public high school came into existence. It was named San Roque Experimental High School. Two years later, it was renamed San Roque Rural High School. It is known now as San Roque High School.


When the late Pres. Marcos proclaimed Martial Law, notable changes took place in Bamban. In the political arena for instance, there was a sudden change in leadership in the Municipal Government when the incumbent Mayor was detained in Camp Crame, Quezon City. His vice-mayor, a former employee of Clark Air Force Base, took over the reins of government. He served well his constituents despite the difficulties of Martial Law. In 1978, the incumbent mayor was replaced by a political choice of the political party in power. However, the designated mayor died after serving less than two years in office.

Hence, his vice-mayor, also a party choice, succeeded him.


When Mt. Pinatubo erupted in 1991, the physical environment, population and livelihood of the people changed as an aftermath of the calamity. Ash falls and lahar devastated many houses, schools, farms, bridges and roads. Three barangays, namely: San Pedro, Malonzo and Bangcu were totally covered with lahar. Portions of barangays Lourdes, Banaba, La Paz, Dela Cruz and Culabasa were also covered by lahar. As a result of the calamity, two resettlement areas, Dapdap and Mainang Resettlement Centers, were made to help the displaced residents of the town. In Dapdap Resettlement alone, more than 3,000 families were resettled. Other victims of Mt. Pinatubo eruption stayed in the villages of Rolling Hills, Sampaloc, Panaisan, Pandan, Pag-asa, Magurol-gurol and Mano.

In Dapdap Resettlement area, permanent buildings for public elementary and secondary schools were constructed to accommodate children of school age. These schools are still in operation. In Mainang Resettlement Center, the government also constructed public elementary school buildings.

Many people lost jobs when the Americans abandoned Clark Air Base. Hundreds of rice and sugarcane fields became unproductive because they were covered with lahar. Under this situation, many people suffered hardships in their daily living.

After a few years, Clark Air Base was re-opened by the Philippine government that helped the people of Bamban to work for their living. The re-opening included the establishment of local manufacturing industries and duty free shops operated by the Clark Development Corporation (CDC). Similarly, the Clark Airport became the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport. These opportunities helped jobless Bambanenses to be employed; skilled and non-skilled and professionals were given the opportunity to earn a living inside the former military base.

Similarly, farmers became busy in their farms. With this turning of events, normal living ushered in.